Re: off-topic discussions [was: A poem using localizable sentences]

From: Julian Bradfield (jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 17 2010 - 04:23:04 CST

    On 2010-01-17, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    > Forum software has improved dramatically since Unicode started out, and
    > in my view would be the right technology to allow this group to engage
    > in its deep technical discussions 90% of the time, but handle the
    > occasional digression in a way that is both flexible and structured.

    Please, no!
    If forum software has improved, I haven't seen it - not least because
    all the forum software I've seen uses the Web, and anything requiring
    a Web browser is ipso facto far less usable and convenient for ongoing
    use than a mail/Usenet system.
    Forums are good for archiving and googling; lousy for keeping up with
    the news.

    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.