Re: [unicode] kJapaneseOn and kJapaneseKun Use What Romanization Standard?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Jan 25 2010 - 17:47:44 CST

    On Jan 25, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Ed Trager wrote:

    > Based on a suggestion I got on this list, I've been checking out Jim
    > Breen's KanjiDic2:
    >
    > http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/kanjidic2/
    >
    > This resource seems to be well-maintained, but I am not capable of
    > judging the accuracy of the on and kun readings (which are in kana).

    Jim's work is generally regarded rather highly, but IIRC there are licensing issues that would prevent our using his data. (The same sorts of problems prevent our using CC-CEDICT or CantoDict for Chinese.) We do, however, use EDICT, to provide information on Japanese compounds in the online front end for the Unihan database.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com