Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Werner LEMBERG (wl@gnu.org)
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 00:35:35 CST

    > I have tested with some current software, using the test text
    > (brackets shown where ligatures are required by Fraktur rules):
    > Ka[tz]e, [ſi]eh, gu[ck]! Brot(ZWNJ)zeit!

    The `si' ligature is not `required', only recommended. In Fraktur,
    the mandatory ligatures (for non-foreign words) are only `ch', `ck',
    and `tz' which never get separated even in `Sperrsatz' (letterspacing,
    the normal form of emphasis in Fraktur). `ſi' actually gets separated
    in letterspacing.

    Useful links:

      http://www.kurrentschrift.eu/bfds/veroeff/Knigge_digital.pdf
      http://omega.enstb.org/yannis/pdf/dante2000.pdf

    The latter also contains an appendix with the Fraktur rules from the
    Duden published in 1919.

        Werner