Re: Medievalist ligature character in the PUA

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 07:22:31 CST

    I wrote:
    >> My sense is that the underlying motivation for the switch away from
    >> Fraktur were the forces of economic and technological integration
    >> and competition among industrialized countries, the early 20th
    >> century fore-runner of today's globalization.

    You can also call it modernism. Whatever.

    Don't forget the 1911(!) attempt to make Antiqua the official typeface,
    which apparently failed with a nearly even split in the Reichstag. That
    clearly demonstrates that the movement to Antiqua was not something that
    suddenly happened in 1941, but having the machinery that came with total
    political control made it easier to force an implementation of the change.

    Not unlike some other script reforms in various parts of the world, by
    the way.

    A./