Re: Roman numerals

From: Michel Bottin (michel.bottin@free.fr)
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 17:14:36 CST

    Le 17/02/10 23:16, John H. Jenkins a écrit :
    > The Roman numerals are there for the sake of compatibility with older standards only and their use should be avoided. It's better to simply build the Roman numerals you want to use out of the appropriate Latin letters.

    But then we lack the numeric order. For example for the numbers 1-24,
    30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 the collating sequence of the Latin
    letters give:

    C, I, II, III, IV, IX, L, LX, LXX, LXXX, M, V, VI, VII, VIII, X, XC, XI,
    XII, XIII, XIV, XIX, XL, XV, XVI, XVII, XVIII, XX, XXI, XXII, XXIII,
    XXIV, XXX

    and then for the kings of France, "Louis IX" (Saint Louis) precede
    "Louis V" and an hypothetic "Louis XIX" would have preceded "Louis XIV"!

    I understand the restriction of use for compatibility, but I think that
    we really lack at least, the following figures necessaries to write
    every roman numeral:

    I, II, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XL, L, XC, C, CM, M

    encoded each as a unique character in a continuous sequence, with
    corresponding numeric properties.

    Michel Bottin