Re: Greek chars encoded twice -- why?

From: Mark Davis ☕ (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Thu Feb 18 2010 - 11:26:34 CST

    We probably should add to the FAQ the following information.

    1. The duplicate accented characters encoded as a result of Greek national
    body requests in ISO 10646 in the process of the merger with Unicode, nearly
    20 years ago. This is despite the fact that the equivalent characters were
    already encoded.

    http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/list-unicodeset.jsp?a=
    \p{sc=greek}%26\p{nfcqc=n}

    However, they are not in canonical form, and when mapped to NFC (the
    recommended format), they are converted to the normal characters. Example:

    http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/transform.jsp?a=::nfc;+(.)+
    >+%26hex($1)+\u00a0+%26name($1)&b=\u1F71

    2. As to the uppercase forms, the consortium has decided that any
    language-specific casing information should be in the Unicode locales
    project (CLDR). People can submit a proposal for exactly how the casing
    should work for Greek or other languages at
    http://unicode.org/cldr/trac/newticket. Such a proposal should completely
    specify the desired processing not only for UPPERCASING, but also
    Titlecasing and lowercasing.

    Mark