Re: Roman numerals

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Feb 20 2010 - 11:13:37 CST

    Sándor Halász <hsv at tbbs dot net> wrote:

    > My feeling is that Roman numerals are only written with single letter
    > digits, and that all other numerals are just precomposed for
    > compatibility reason (notably JIS and other CJK encodings where they
    > are encoded to be rendered in a single square).
    > <<<<<<<<
    > And therefore the Roman numerals at (decimal) 8544 through 8555 and
    > 8560 through 8571 are of Japanese origin?

    The Roman numerals themselves are not, but their presence as distinct
    units in a character encoding probably is. Western character encodings
    didn't have room for them.

    Hexadecimal numbers are preferred over decimal for describing Unicode
    code points.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­