Re: BIDI IRI Display (was spoofing and IRIs)

From: Martin J. Dürst (duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 04:32:52 CST

    Hello Mati,

    On 2010/03/04 19:11, Matitiahu Allouche wrote:
    > Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
    > <quote>
    > There is no average BIDI user to observe, since there are no BIDI TLDs and
    > no BIDI equivalents to http, ftp etc.
    >
    > In my way of thinking, and average BIDI user does not normally mix LTR and
    > RTL, programmers excepted.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Unfortunately, on one hand, elements like "http" and TLDs are always LTR.

    TLDs should be available in non-ASCII soon. "http" will either take
    quite some time to be available in non-ASCII, or may never happen. But
    http: isn't really the main problem, even in the West, most people think
    about it as a "secret incantation" much more than as a protocol name,
    and so if that's all that's in ASCII, people should get used to it
    somehow, whether it appears on the left or the right of an IRI. The rest
    of the IRI (the meat, so to say) is really much more of a problem, in
    case it is mixed.

    Regards, Martin.