RE: Arabic aleph representation of glyphs

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2010 - 11:14:55 CST

    Hi.
    I was not well and forgot to check all the code supplements too: I wondered--with all the other forms of aleph available as either a composite or a single character,
    why is this one of the aleph glyphs, the aleph with the double fatah diacritic (for the accusative indefinite at word end)
    not available except as a composite character?

    But then I found the code point:

    FD3C;

    in presentation forms-A; my mistake--it is there, as a presentation form.

    (The aleph glyphs with hamzas and long vowel diacritics, unlike the aleph glyphs with short vowel diacritics and no hamza are in both the basic Arabic characters and in presentation forms-B as well;

    but the aleph glyphs with short vowel diacritics are only in the presentation forms;
    I guess that this is intentional and not an oversite.)

    However, first, both character orders must result in a display which orders the diacritic before (that is to the right of, because Arabic script normally displays as rtl) the aleph.

    They both do; so this is fine.

    Second, and the real problem here may have something to do with implementation and not with unicode at all: the spacing between the diacritic and the aleph varies according to the logical order of these two
    (which as far as I know is really just a stylistic variation in Arabic;
    at least this variation in spacing occurs with IE; try it with other browsers and see what happens; I redid the attached example so you can see the presentation form too.)

    Best,

    C. E. Whitehead

    cewcathar@hotmail.com