RE: Arabic aleph representation of glyphs

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2010 - 16:11:53 CST

    Hi, thanks very much. You did answer my questions. I still have one more question: would any literate Arabic speaker always type the tanween al-fatah logically after the aleph seat? (Because of course the tanween al-fatah, unlike Arabic vowel diacritics elsewhere, should precede the aleph consonant seat in a visual display and not follow it--that is, in an rtl context, it should be displayed slightly to the right of the aleph--that is how I was taught and indeed how it appears in the combined character in the Unicode extended characters, and indeed that is how it appears when I type it in following the aleph [and of course, it appears this way when I type it in before too].)

    I also added a few notes below.