Re: Policy on character name aliases?

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2010 - 07:37:55 CST

    Andrew West <andrewcwest at gmail dot com> wrote:

    > I think that there rightly is a high bar for getting a formal alias
    > defined. There are very many character names that are not ideal or
    > that some people would prefer changed to something else (tens of
    > thousands if we count the term "ideograph"), but we do not want to
    > create hundreds or thousands of unnecessary formal aliases. On the
    > other hand there is a low bar for getting informal aliases added to
    > the code charts.

    I think Ken is right that if Karl's concern about the height of the bar
    has to do with a specific character, and not just policy in general,
    then we should be talking about that specific character. Otherwise we
    are probably spinning our wheels.

    --
    Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­