Re: Cyrillic character ID

From: Αλέξανδρος Διαμαντίδης (adia@hellug.gr)
Date: Fri Mar 19 2010 - 07:46:18 CST

    * Leo Broukhis [2010-03-19 02:32]:
    > The last char is CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER LITTLE YUS' (U+0467)

    Thanks! It looked similar but not exactly alike in the charts so I
    wasn't sure, and web searches for "Π˜Π²Ρ”Ρ€ΡΠΊΡ—Ρ§" or "Π˜Π²Π΅Ρ€ΡΠΊΡ—Ρ§" gave no
    results.

    Anyway, with a few more searches I discovered that our icon is a version
    of this one: ("Π˜Π²Π΅Ρ€ΡΠΊΠ°Ρ ΠΈΠΊΠΎΠ½Π°" in Russian)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panagia_Portaitissa

    Sure enough, I see in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yus that...

    "In Russia, Little Yus was adapted to represent the iotated /ja/ я in
    the middle or end of a word [...]"

    (Thanks also to Eljay for pointers to relevant Wikipedia pages)