Re: Optometry symbols proposal

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2010 - 08:49:17 CDT

    Thank you for an interesting post. The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landolt_C web page provided a precise design for eight glyphs. I have produced an experimental font that has those eight glyphs included in the cell positions from 0 through to 7. There is also a complete circle in cell position 9. Hoping that some readers may find the font of interest, and hoping that it can be included in the archive, I have attached a copy of the font to this post. An interesting matter is that I wondered, if the radius of the outer construction circle is r, what is the area of the symbol? I decided to consider the glyph where the notch is at the top. I found that I needed to renew my knowledge of integrals from long ago and found the following web page to help me. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071202172247AAaM3dV There is then a Unicode aspect to this. How can one represent the two integrals that are part of the calculation in plain text? Now, I am well aware that some people may say to use a higher level protocol and not plain text, yet in these days when plain text is being used to convey much information using mobile devices, maybe the answer is to encode the arrow parentheses suggested by Bernard Miller. If a mobile device manufacturer (or maybe the author of an App for a mobile device) were to use Private Use Area codes for those eight arrow parentheses (two for superscripts, two for subscripts, two for the upper limits of integrals and summations and so on and two for the lower limits of integrals and summations and so on) then maybe they could then be encoded into regular Unicode and a great forward step be produced. William Overington 5 April 2010 --- On Thursady, 1 April 2010, Leo Broukhis <leob@mailcom.com> wrote: > Given the existence of dentistry > symbols (U+23BE - U+23CC), I propose > to include into Unicode the optometry symbols: > > 8 Landolt C symbols (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landolt_C)  with > slits at every 45-degree position. > 4 "Illiterate E" symbols (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_chart) with > limbs pointing in 4 directions. > > Leo > >