Re: Least used parts of BMP.

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 08:35:47 CDT

    Hello,

    Am 2010-06-03 07:07, schrieb Kannan Goundan:
    > This is currently what I do (I was referring to this as the "compact
    > UTF-8-like encoding"). The one difference is that I put all the
    > marker bits in the first byte (instead of in the high bit of every
    > byte):
    > 0xxxxxxx
    > 10xxxxxx xyyyyyyy
    > 110xxxxx xxyyyyyy yzzzzzzz

    The problem with this encoding is that the trailing bytes
    are not clearly marked: they may start with any of
    '0', '10', or '110'; only '111' would mark a byte
    unambiguously as a trailing one.

    In contrast, in UTF-8 every single byte carries a marker
    that unambiguously marks it as either a single ASCII byte,
    a starting, or a continuation byte; hence you have not to
    and decode, a group of bytes.

    Best wishes,
       Otto Stolz