Re: Emoji (was: Re: Preparing a proposal for encoding a portable interpretable object code into Unicode)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 12:21:03 CDT

    On 4 Jun 2010, at 10:47, William_J_G Overington wrote:

    > I noticed the use of colours other than black and white in several groups of emoji.

    No, you have noticed the use of the strings ASCII RED and GREEN and BLUE and ORANGE in some UCS character names.

    > What I find interesting is that colours other than black are often represented by line hatching of the Petra Sancta type in the example glyphs.

    I used standard European hatching as found in ordinary books on British and Irish heraldry.

    > Most of them seem to follow Petra Sancta style, yet a few do not.

    Because I did not reference Silvester Petra Sancta or Marcus Vulson de la Colombière.

    > For example, U+1F34E RED APPLE and U+1F34F GREEN APPLE do follow Petra Sancta style.

    This is standard British and Irish hatching for Gules and Vert.

    > U+1FD47 GREEN BOOK and U+1FD48 BLUE BOOK do follow Petra Sancta.

    This is standard British and Irish hatching for Vert and Azure.

    > U+1FD49 ORANGE BOOK has an interesting example glyph.

    This is standard British and Irish hatching for Tenné.

    You omitted to mention Purpure and Or.

    > In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatching_system there is a graphic of the shadings and I found that clicking on the graphic leads to a page for the graphic from where I was able to download a full resolution 908 by 509 pixels version. I then displayed the file in Microsoft Paint at 8x resolution.

    Zounds, William, who do you think needs to know this kind of detail? Not a one of us, I am sure, cares about the number of pixels in the Wikipedia graphic.

    > The hatching used in the example glyph is indeed one of the several hatchings shown for orange.

    For Tenné.

    > The document does not purport that Petra Sancta hatching has been used.

    No, it does not.

    > Yet if the example glyph for U+1F536 LARGE ORANGE DIAMOND is interpreted as if a Petra Sancta hatching had been used, it would be blue.
    >
    > If the example glyph for U+1F537 LARGE BLUE DIAMOND is to be interpreted as if a Petra Sancta hatching had been used, it would not be the usual hatching for blue.

    There are, it appears, incorrect glyphs for the orange and blue diamonds in the chart. This will need to be taken up with the editorial committee.

    > I noticed also that if the example glyph for U+1F530 JAPANESE SYMBOL FOR BEGINNER if interpreted as hatched in Petra Sancta style is yellow and green (or maybe gold and green?).

    Or and Vert.