Re: Hexadecimal digits

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2010 - 17:14:47 CDT

    On 06/04/2010 03:10 PM, Luke-Jr wrote:
    > On Friday 04 June 2010 01:28:21 pm Rick McGowan wrote:
    >
    >> Just out of curiosity, why do you think it's useful or important for
    >> people to use hexadecimal as their primary system of counting? What
    >> advantages would it confer?
    >
    > John W. Nystrom went over the numerous benefits to the tonal system
    > (contrasting it with not only base 10, but also other possible bases) a long
    > time ago...
    > http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/tonal-system/10991090

    For a while I even joined the Dozenal Society, which advocates for
    base-12. Base-12 has the advantage (over base-10 and base-16) of many
    divisors, so division radix notation (to the right of the radix point)
    is easier.

    Not really the point, though. Unicode's job is not so much to set
    humans free to do *anything*, but to allow them to do the things they've
    been doing all along.

    ~mark