RE: UTS#10 (collation) : French backwards level 2, and word-breakers.

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 13 2010 - 19:25:45 CDT

    Hi. Thanks Philippe very much for your information.
    Unfortunately I must admit that I have not the experience using the collation algorithm in sorts of words or strings of words -- so I cannot help back up your data on efficiency.
    If a low-weight field/space separator provides uniformity then perhaps I can vote for your low-weight field separator -- would it be at all like http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/tr10-21.html#Combining_Grapheme_Joiner ?
    (I still think a space character's level can simply be customized, and that this character might be used to produce a different sort between di lillo and dilillo and also be used to block reordering and allow word-by-word comparison with the right code.)
    Word-by-word comparison should be more efficient of course as it does enable you to stop after reading in enough words to distinguish one string from another.
    At the same time, as I think about it, I can think of no proper names in French where the words differed only by level 2 accents* -- although I am not French.

    So I can see Kenneth's point somewhat here, too.

    Sorry that I am not more help.

    (* the French words distinguished by level 2 marks include ou, ou' and then there are the varieties of cote with and without accents; see: http://www.wordreference.com/fren/cote ; the only other thing I can think of are masculine past participles such as r^ape' which sometimes are only distinct from related verbs/nouns/adjectives by an accent;
    this happens in Spanish, particularly among the pronouns;
    see:
    http://users.ipfw.edu/jehle/courses/pronoun1.htm
    [also note that ' e'ste ' is a demonstrative masculine pronoun, 'this one,' while ' este ' is the masculine form of the adjective 'this', or else ' este ' can mean 'East',
    and then ' este' ' is the present subjunctive of 'estar'
    http://www.wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=este])

    Best wishes with this,

    --C. E. Whitehead
    cewcathar@hotmail.com