Re: [indic] Indian Rupee symbol

From: N. Ganesan (naa.ganesan@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2010 - 10:26:54 CDT

    On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:22 AM, Kent Karlsson
    <kent.karlsson14@telia.com> wrote:

    > Den 2010-07-15 11.54, skrev "N. Ganesan" <naa.ganesan@gmail.com>:
    >
    >> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Dr Pavanaja <pavanaja@vishvakannada.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>> Now that Indian Rupee symbol has been finalised and accepted  by the Indian
    >>> Parliament can it go into Unicode ver 6.0?
    >>>

    >> For a look at the new sign for Indian Rupees:
    >>
    >> http://minal.nairi.net/images/work/rupee_01_L.jpg
    >
    > That glyph is different from the others cited for this approved(?) symbol.
    > Separate enough not to be unifiable with the others... (Neither of these
    > look anything like any of the "finalists".)

    This symbol misses a horizontal stroke, hence it's incomplete.

    The correct symbol (eventually we can see it in Unicode charts)
    is given in BBC and NY Times:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/16/business/global/16rupee.html?src=busln

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south+asia-10644730

    http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/07/16/business/global/16rupee-inline/16rupee-inline-articleInline.jpg