Re: [unicode] kJapaneseOn and kJapaneseKun Use What Romanization Standard?

From: Jim Breen (jimbreen@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 23:45:16 CDT

    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just joined the list and
    this one caught my eye...

    On Mon Jan 25 2010 John Jenkins wrote:
    > On Jan 25, 2010, at 2:33 PM, Ed Trager wrote:
    >> Based on a suggestion I got on this list, I've been checking out Jim
    >> Breen's KanjiDic2:
    >
    >> http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/kanjidic2/
    >>
    >> This resource seems to be well-maintained, but I am not capable of
    >> judging the accuracy of the on and kun readings (which are in kana).

    >Jim's work is generally regarded rather highly, but IIRC there are
    >licensing issues that would prevent our using his data.

    I'm surprised that my CC-SA licence causes a problem. I have
    no objection to material from Kanjidic2 ending up in the Unihan
    file, and I can give The Unicode Consortium a specific release
    if that would help (an ack. in the comments up the front of the
    text version would be nice, but I wouldn't make a big issue
    of it.)

    Cheers

    Jim

    --
    Jim Breen
    Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Clayton School of IT, Monash University