Re: [Flags] Re: Waterford Steamship Co

From: António MARTINS-Tuválkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2010 - 13:58:42 CDT

    On 2010.07.18, 13:03, Elias quoted and wrote:

    >> That one's even in my keyboard: "C.º". (Underline [optional],
    >> depending on the typeface.)
    >
    > Isn't that the sign for "degree"? It could be used for a raised o
    > anyway, I suppose. :-)

    Those are different symbols — the degree sign is never underlined and
    it is a ring, hardly varies with typeface style, while the raised "o" is
    an "o". There are more — here’s from the Unicode repertoire:

    ° U+00B0 DEGREE SIGN
    º U+00BA MASCULINE ORDINAL INDICATOR
    ˚ U+02DA RING ABOVE
    ◌̊ U+030A COMBINING RING ABOVE
    ◌ͦ U+0366 COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER O
    ◌֯ U+05AF HEBREW MARK MASORA CIRCLE
    ᅌ U+114C HANGUL CHOSEONG YESIEUNG
    ᐤ U+1424 CANADIAN SYLLABICS FINAL RING
    ᴼ U+1D3C MODIFIER LETTER CAPITAL O
    ᵒ U+1D52 MODIFIER LETTER SMALL O
    ◌〫 U+302B IDEOGRAPHIC RISING TONE MARK
    〬 U+302C IDEOGRAPHIC DEPARTING TONE MARK
    ◌゚ U+309A COMBINING KATAKANA-HIRAGANA SEMI-VOICED SOUND MARK
    ゜ U+309C KATAKANA-HIRAGANA SEMI-VOICED SOUND MARK

    (I may have missed some.) Of these, only two (U+00BA and U+1D52) are
    equivalent.

    Now to bring this back to the list topic, which of these are used on
    flags? Shipping companies with initials in several languages often
    include "C.º", while the ring above may show on Danish and Slovak flags;
    ditto for trivial language/text uses — what else? Curiously, of all
    these, the least likely, I think, would be the degree sign itself.

    --
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin                                            ____.
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt>                                          |  ()|