Re: Indian Rupee Sign (U+20B9) proposal

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 19:04:24 CDT

    On 23 Jul 2010, at 00:51, Tulasi wrote:

    > On 15 July 2010, Unicode had moved at lightning speed to register a proposal from an Unicode insider and registered it at 23:39 HRS.

    No, it didn't. "Unicode" did nothing. An experienced character encoder (me), who has encoded something like half of the currency characters encoded in the standard, wrote up a proposal in a timely fashion. No particular haste was taken. I just wrote it up.

    > On this date, Unicode had received proposals for same purpose form non-insiders too -- as you know this is true because India is a nation of over a billion populations.

    I have seen no other proposals to encode the character, submitted either to the UTC or to WG2.

    > So what method Unicode had used to choose to register the only proposal from an insider?

    Tulasi, get a grip. There is no conspiracy to do... whatever the heck you think is going on. For my part, I would like to see the character assigned a code position, because this will help people implement the new character.

    > Doesn't it sound like insiders trading :-')

    No, it doesn't.

    > In order to recognize Unicode as the discoverer of India new Rupee sign it must be transparent displaying all proposals submitted on 15 July 2010.

    "Unicode" did not "discover" the character. Unicode is not a person. The character was not secret.

    > If ISO approves, even if Unicode does not approve, India’s new Rupee sign gets approved automatically.

    You do not understand the encoding process.

    > So why did Unicode rush hastily in this way?

    Unicode did not "rush hastily. "Unicode" didn't do anything at all. I wrote a proposal because it is my dharma to do things like this.

    > Will India pay Unicode anything at all?

    Will anyone pay me anything at all?

    > Do you know if India wants you guys to gossip in this way in this forum?

    "India" is not a person. "India" does not want things.

    > India is World’s largest democracy by the way :-‘)

    Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

    > Hoping I have explained!
    > Any question, please feel free to ask.

    You haven't explained anything. You haven't clarified anything. If you are uncomfortable, it seems that it is due to fictions of your own.

    A goal is to encode the character at a stable code position for the use of Indians and others.

    I can't think of any other goals regarding this matter.

    Relax. Go see a movie or something. There's nothing wrong here.