Re: High dot/dot above punctuation?

From: Martin J. Dürst (duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 21:52:20 CDT

    On 2010/07/29 19:51, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
    > On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:15, Khaled Hosny<khaledhosny@eglug.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Also, I don't buy in Unicode idea of
    >> encoding different sets of decimal digits separately, they are all
    >> different graphical presentations of the same thing.
    >
    > Not in a document where the author is discussing the differences
    > between them, for example.

    The "where the author is discussing the differences" doesn't help in
    deciding whether to encode one or two characters. A document may discuss
    the roman and italic versions of a character, or the Times and Palatino
    versions of a character, or different versions of Times fonts for the
    same character, and so on. It's very clear that we would get nowhere if
    we wanted to encode all these.

    In simpler words, you cannot use the needs of discussions about encoding
    (the meta-level) to determine encodings.

    Regards, Martin.