Re: Draft Proposal to add Variation Sequences for Latin and Cyrillic letters (was Re: long s (was: Draft Proposal to add Variation Sequences for Latin and Cyrillic letters))

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2010 - 03:19:10 CDT

  • Next message: Andrew West: "Re: Draft Proposal to add Variation Sequences for Latin and Cyrillic letters (was Re: long s (was: Draft Proposal to add Variation Sequences for Latin and Cyrillic letters))"

    On Tuesday, 3/8/10, Janusz S. Bień <jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

    > I see no reason why, if I understand correctly, the long s
    > variant is to be limited to Fraktur-like styles.

    Long s was used with ordinary Roman type in England for English text in at least part of the 17th and 18th centuries.

    How could one express the following please using variation selectors and the Zero Width Joiner ZWJ in relation to the two character sequence sh?

    If you have a long s available, please use it, otherwise please use an ordinary s: furthermore, if you have a long s h ligature available please use that instead.

    How could one express the following please using variation selectors and the Zero Width Joiner ZWJ in relation to the three character sequence ssi?

    If you have a long s available, please use it, otherwise please use an ordinary s: furthermore, if you have a long s long s i ligature available please use that instead.

    William Overington