Re: long s

From: Janusz S. Bień (jsbien@mimuw.edu.pl)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 11:34:01 CDT

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 Karl Pentzlin <karl-pentzlin@acssoft.de> wrote:

    > Am Dienstag, 3. August 2010 um 19:11 schrieb Janusz S. Bień:
    >
    > JJSB> I see no reason why, if I understand correctly, the long s variant is
    > JSB> to be limited to Fraktur-like styles.
    >
    > The *variant* is applicable to situations where the character is to be
    > displayed long when Fraktur-like styles are in effect, while it is to
    > be displayed round when "modern" styles are in effect.

    Would you be so kind to give an example of a real-life application
    when it is really needed?

    In old Polish texts Fraktur was used for Polish and Roman/Antiqua, as
    the name suggests, for Latin quotation. If I want to render such a
    text with full (,,diplomatic'') precision, I have either to use
    Fraktur for Fraktur or, to make it more legible for contemporary
    users, to use ,,modern'' font style preseving the original long
    s.

    Preserving or not the distiction should be in my opinion a conscious
    decision, I see no reason to unify the variants more automatically
    then it is now (according at least to Polish locale, both form of s
    belong to the same equivalent class of POSIX regular expressions).

    BTW, is "round s" in the meaning used in your proposal an official or
    widespread term? What is its relation to the already encoded r
    rotunda?

    Regards

    JSB

    --
                         ,
    dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)