Re: Historical Scandinavian currency signs (daler and mark)

From: Johan Winge (johan.winge@telia.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2010 - 04:25:43 CDT

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:39:33 +0200, Otto Stolz
    <Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

    > The Daler sign resembles closely the GERMAN PENNY SIGN (U+20B0).

    Aha! Yes, you are right. According to Wikipedia, the Pfennig sign is
    originally a "d" for "denarius". I would presume that the Daler sign is
    originally a "d" as in "daler", but in print the signs would probably
    never be distinguished. At
    http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Seite:Luebische_Geschichten_und_Sagen.djvu/295
    there is a Pfennig sign which is identical with my Daler sign.

    That leaves the Mark sign. I got a private mail suggesting L B BAR SYMBOL
    U+2114, but that's not the right one; here is an example of the Mark sign
    contrasting with U+2114:
    http://runeberg.org/nfbq/0527.html

    -- Johan Winge