Re: RIP standards - the new Indian Rupee sign on mobile handsets.

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2010 - 12:55:10 CDT

    "Luke-Jr" <luke at dashjr dot org> wrote:

    > That's assuming, of course, that they are in fact using the PUA...

    The article didn't say, and my assumption was that they had repurposed
    an ordinary assigned character, like the groundbreaking and innovative
    font developer who proudly repurposed U+0060.

    Not to claim this is a great selling point of my phone, but it allows me
    to choose from a catalog of smileys by Pressing One Key, and translates
    the chosen image to a sequence of ASCII characters so it can be seen on
    any phone. Can the rupee symbol generated by a Lava B5 be seen as a
    rupee symbol on other phones?

    Just wait for the darned character to be assigned.

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­