Unicode Version 6.0: Support for Popular Symbols in Asia

From: announcements@unicode.org
Date: Mon Oct 11 2010 - 19:33:52 CDT

      The newly finalized Unicode Version 6.0 adds 2,088 characters, with over
    1,000 new symbols.

    A long-awaited feature of Unicode 6.0 is the encoding of hundreds of
    symbols for mobile phones. These emoji characters are in widespread use,
    especially in Japan, and have become an essential part of text messages
    there and elsewhere. Unicode 6.0 now provides for data interchange between
    different mobile vendors and across the internet. The symbols include
    symbols for many domains: maps and transport, phases of the moon, UI symbols
    (such as fast-forward) and many others.

    A late-breaking addition is the newly created official symbol for the Indian
    rupee. With the help of the Indian government and our colleagues in ISO, the
    consortium was able to accelerate the encoding process. Once computers and
    mobile phones update to the new version of Unicode, people will be able to
    use the rupee sign like they use $ or € now.

    This October 2010 release includes the Unicode Character Database (UCD),
    Unicode Standard Annexes (UAXes), and code charts. With the release of these
    components, implementers are able update their software to Unicode 6.0
    without delay. The final text of the core specification will be available in
    early 2011.

    * To access Unicode 6.0, see http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.0.0.

    * For more information on emoji, see http://unicode.org/faq/emoji_dingbats.html

    * For a formatted version of this message with images, see
    http://unicode.org/press/pr-6.0.html.

    ----
    All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
    or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
    users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
    this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
    see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements