Re: [unicode] Telugu Unicode Encoding Review

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Oct 16 2010 - 21:49:07 CDT

      On 10/16/2010 10:38 AM, suzuki toshiya wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've never heard any comments about the reservation
    > of the codepoints to making the code chart structure
    > similar among multiple script, no posive, no negative.
    > So your comment is interesting. Could you tell me more
    > about what kind of disadvantages you're thinking of?

    The source for this arrangement is an Indian National Standard.

    As chapter 9 of TUS states in the introduction:

        "They are all encoded according to a common plan, so that comparable
        characters
        are in the same order and relative location. This structural
        arrangement, which facilitates
        transliteration to some degree, is based on the Indian national
        standard (ISCII)."

    The important thing to remember is that when Unicode was first created,
    it was seen as very important to mimic the layout of 8-bit character
    sets for a given script - at least for those scripts that had fairly
    well established standards in the 80s.

    While this seems quaint now, it did make it easier for people to become
    comfortable with Unicode - and to be able to tell quickly and reliably
    whether important character sets were fully covered. Without that,
    Unicode might never have established itself - as unbelievable as that
    may sound to those who did not experience that transition period first hand.

    A./