RE: Symbola font (was: James Kass and Code2000 font)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 06:14:14 CDT

    From: Andrew West [mailto:andrewcwest@gmail.com]

    >> And I'd advise people to upgrade from Windows XP.

    > The snide remark seems a little uncalled for. There are
    > many reasons why people cannot or will not upgrade
    > from XP, and I was simply pointing out an issue that may
    > affect some users.

    My comment was not intended to be snide. You were discussing crashes on XP; that represents both reliability and security concerns. Windows 7 is much more reliable and secure than XP.

    Anyhow, I would advise people to be cautious about upgrading from XP in case they accidentally upgrade to Windows 7, which many people on this list, especially anyone who wants to see any of the newly encoded emoji characters, might consider not fit for purpose:

    > <http://babelstone.blogspot.com/2010/05/prototyping-tangut-imes-or-why-windows.html>

    You've commented on a known bug in the Windows 7 release affecting code points that were not encoded in Unicode 5.1. A fix for unsupported code points is hardly the type of thing you can expect to see mentioned in broadly-targeted information about SP1. Even so, the fix has already gone into the SP1 code.

    Peter