RE: Is there any unambiguous vowel length mark code point for classicists?

From: Győző Dobner (solfegeing@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 2010 - 18:49:34 CDT

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 07:41:13 -0400
    David Starner <prosfilaes@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:23 AM, Győző Dobner <solfegeing@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    > > Actually, it would be even better to have something like a
    > > COMBINING PHONEME LENGTH MARK that can be used with both
    > > vowels and consonants in any script or language whatsoever and that
    > > would display differently in different languages, depending on the
    > > language tag used.
    >
    > No. Unicode has pretty much declared it won't do anything of the sort.
    > It would introduce ambiguity; there are already enough ways of
    > encoding ā without adding another one.

    This latter one was only a quick idea of mine and I was actually going
    to add something like "if it is compatible with the Unicode
    guidlines/policies".
    But my original question was not how to encode a combining macron in one
    more possible way but how to encode a length mark that would display as
    something _visually_ _distinguishable_ _from_ _a_ _macron_ (because the
    macron is functionally ambiguous and hence unsuitable for my purposes).
    Is it e.g. possible (i.e. is it Unicode-compliant) to combine a macron with
    some
    non-displaying character for this purpose, and if so, with which
    non-displaying
    character? I understand that ZERO-WIDTH JOINER is not supposed to be used
    in this way (or am I mistaken?).

    Best Regards,

    Gy. Dobner