RE: ss and ß

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 01 2010 - 18:51:39 CST

    Hi, sorry for jumping in.

    Mark's solution (to automatically offer both labels) is o.k. with me (I don't know if one could be resold later without the other; perhaps but obviously I do not wheel and deal in domain names) but I do feel like others on the list that both ways of writing "ss" should be mapped and mapped to the same punycode realization.

    However, I am confused: does not "unmapped" mean mapped to nil and is it not the problem then that the single character ß (as opposed to the "ss") will still be mapped to nil (as is described in http://unicode.org/reports/tr46/tr46-2.html#Mapping):

    "2.She visits her friend Bob, and checks her bank statement on his browser. His browser supports IDNA2008. Under those rules, http://www.sparkasse-gießen.de is also valid, but converts to a different Punycode domain name in http://www.xn--sparkasse-gieen-2ib.de. This can lead to a different site with the IP address 101.123.145.167, a spoof site." (Thus would not the registrar have to also make sure that the registration for nil and not just ss was identical? Sorry to ask a stupid question.)

    As for Indic digits, Eastern (Persian, etc.) and Western (Arabic), and particularly for the confusable ones -- why is not a similar solution being considered for these? (That is, have the registrar make sure both registrations are identical, the one containing the Persian digits and the same name but with Arabic digits? Or is that being done? Or is it not feasable? [I admit I do not know all that is going on with domain name registrars and would appreciate it if someone would point me to the recommendations for the various registrars to follow; thanks; but apparently the registrars do not have to follow the recommendations anyway -- which makes no sense as ICANN accredits the registrars and can force them to follow the recommendations, right?)

    Best,

    --C. E. Whitehead
    cewcathar@hotmail.com