Is there a term for strictly-just-this-encoding-and-not-really-that-encoding?

From: Jim Monty (
Date: Wed Nov 10 2010 - 13:41:22 CST

  • Next message: Asmus Freytag: "Re: Is there a term for strictly-just-this-encoding-and-not-really-that-encoding?"

    Here's a peculiar question.

    Is there a standard term to describe text that is in some subset CCS of another
    CCS but, strictly speaking, is only really in the subset CCS because it doesn't
    have any characters in it other than those represented in the smaller CCS?

    (The fact that I struggled to phrase this question in a way that made my meaning
    clear -- and failed -- is precisely my dilemma.)

    Text that has in it only characters that are in the
    ASCII character encoding is also in the ISO 8859-1 character encoding and the
    UTF-8 character encoding form of the Unicode coded character set, right? I often
    need to talk and write about text that has such multiple personalities, but I
    invariably struggle to make my point clearly and succinctly. I wind up
    describing the notion of it in awkwardly verbose detail.

    So I'm left wondering if the character encoding cognoscenti have a special
    utilitarian word for this, maybe one borrowed from mathematics (set theory).

    Jim Monty

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Wed Nov 10 2010 - 13:44:01 CST