RE: Phishing and enforcing Confusables.txt

From: CE Whitehead (cewcathar@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2010 - 18:27:47 CST

> [...]
> customer service,... Actual control is with the registries. A registrar
> can never register something that the registry in charge will not allow.
> There are some top level registries that also serve as their only
> registrars, and on the other hand, there are some top level registries
> that are served by many registrars. .com is of the later kind. I'd think
> that because of the popularity of .com, the number of registrars for
> .com may easily be the largest for any domain.
>
> A registrar can select to only register a subset of the domain names
> offered by the registry they serve (a registrar in India could refuse to
> register Greek domain names because they don't understand the Greek
> script well enough to provide a good service), but they cannot register
> anything that the registry won't allow.
>
> The relationship between ICANN and each registry varies. For some very
> new registries, ICANN has a strong control via contracts that they set
> up when they agreed to the creation of that domain. For some others,
> they are just giving advice. This applies to most country code top level
> domains, and also to very traditional domains such as .com.
>
> > If this entity chooses to enforce confusables (does it?) then
> > *wherever* a domain is registered it cannot be confusable with an
> > existing domain name? To be precise, if my old example of ಅರಗ.com is
> > registered in India, then అరగ.com cannot be registered *anywhere in
> > the world*?
>
> Yes, of course. The domain name system is global. Each domain (starting
> with what you could call 0-level domain, which contains the top level
> domains) only has one controlling entity. Each domain resolves the same
> way all around the world. If something is registered with .com, then as
> soon as you register it, e.g. with a registrar in India, it gets
> registered in the registry, i.e. with VeriSign.
>
> Because .com is very global in use, when IDNA started (and even before
> experimentally), VeriSign was registering domain names in all kinds of
> scripts. For a long time, they also allowed registration of mixed-script
> names. This lead to the "paypal scare", where a security researcher
> registered paypal.com with a Cyrillic 'a'.
>
> While ICANN cannot do much more than provide advice to most registries,
> some browser makers (in particular Mozilla) have tried to evaluate the
> policy of each top-level registry with regards to internationalized
> domain names, and use this to decide whether to show the domain name
> with real characters or encoded (using punycode). If you try in Firefox,
> you will see that అరగ.com and అరగ.ru show as punycode, but అరగ.jp and
> అరగ.рф show as characters in the address bar. (Non of them resolves, and
> in all cases, a "Network Error" page shows punycode.) For details,
> please see
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/tld-idn-policy-list.html. This
> may lead to pressure on the registries to create (or publish) and update

Hi. Thanks for this info Martin.
Some registries lodge tables of permitted characters at iana; see:
http://www.iana.org/domains/idn-tables/

(the one lodged for the .sa domain Arabic language is well thought-out I think:
http://www.iana.org/domains/idn-tables/tables/sa_ar_1.0.html
both sets of digits are allowed but they are folded )

No table is lodged at iana for any language for .com; however --
and thanks for directing me to verisign for .com (I should have known verisign was the registry too as I have a .com)
  -- there are lists of permitted characters at verisign (the other place you find tables of allowed characters besides iana is the registry itself):
http://www.verisign.com/domain-name-services/domain-information-center/idn-domains/character-variants/

Here (from the same page) are verisign's comments on similar-looking domain names (the example given is traditional and simplified Chinese domain names which may mean the same thing to some users):
". . . Verisign provides a list of permitted characters for some languages . . . - "
Verisign also uses language tags and requires that an idn be associated with a specific language with a character set that can be identified by a language tag (thus no mixed-script spoofing -- and I think Martin's comments seem to say this was a past issue) :
http://www.verisign.com/domain-name-services/domain-information-center/domain-name-resources/idn-valid-language-tags.pdf

So one option would be as Martin suggests to contact verisign regarding permitted characters for .com

Best,

--C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com