Re: Case mappings

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2010 - 14:19:35 CST

    On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 5:19 AM, QSJN 4 UKR <qsjn4ukr@gmail.com> wrote:
    > There is writed in FAQ "Take the word "anglo-American" or the Italian
    > word "vederLa". Once you uppercase, lowercase or titlecase these
    > strings, you can't recover the original just by performing the reverse
    > operation". Why so stupid?
    > All we need for the reversibility of the case conversion operations is
    > two control characters.

    Two control characters that come from where? There are gigabytes of
    text that doesn't have it, and there's no way it's going to get added
    to the vast majority of new text. If you control your environment,
    there's a lot of control characters that could be repurposed for this,
    there's a lot of PUA, and there's good old fashioned ASCII markup. If
    you don't control your environment, it's hopeless; these types of
    things will never be marked in general purpose text.

    --
    Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.