Re: Combining Triple Diacritics (N3915) not accepted by UTC #125

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 16:48:46 CST

    On 10 Nov 2010, at 18:03, Khaled Hosny wrote:

    > Even math formulas in new MS Office versions can do that (well it is
    > math because, apparently, only mathematicians cared about that, but I
    > don't see why it should not work for linguists too).

    Because the usage scenario is different.

    I don't know why people are agonizing about this. There is precedent in a solution for Coptic: COMBINING MACRON LEFT HALF, COMBINING CONJOINING MACRON, and COMBINING MACRON RIGHT HALF.

    The same solution is all that is needed for the linguists' tilde and inverted breve. Most likely all we need is a new COMBINING CONJOINING TILDE and COMBINING CONJOINING INVERTED BREVE. And even in the absence of those, the community could use the relevant halves (which are already encoded) together with the COMBINING CONJOINING MACRON and nobody could stop them.

    I would rather see the new COMBINING CONJOINING pieces encoded however.