RE: On the possibility of encoding webdings in Unicode (from Re: square bullets added to unicode.)

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2011 - 14:27:15 CST

    David Starner <prosfilaes at gmail dot com> wrote:

    >> That is the right approach to take for writing systems. That is not
    >> the right approach to take for entities that have nothing to do with
    >> writing systems.
    >
    > I don't know that that's true. If a user decides to use the PUA in an
    > internal system, who are we to object?

    I didn't have much problem with sending such a user to the PUA. My
    problem was with the rest of Neil Harris's quote:

    > and then invite them to come back when they
    > have a large community of real-world users using their new writing
    > system to exchange plain-text messages for non-artificial purposes, at
    > which point they could then apply to go through the normal process for
    > encoding?

    I do not believe localizable sentences will ever be appropriate for
    standardization in a plain-text character encoding, regardless of the
    size of the community of users. Perhaps they would be appropriate for
    standardization somewhere, but not in a character encoding.

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­