Re: Ruby below?

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2011 - 08:27:12 CST

    On a point of order: am I correct in my belief that there is not any rule that requires a post to this mailing list to be in English?

    I took it that someone who does not have English as his or her native language has made an effort to try to communicate his or her question to the list as best he or she was able. I would not dream of deleting it as if it were spam and support a motion that the moderator does not delete it from the archive.

    The only translation into English that I have seen so far is that from Google Translate. Hopefully another translation into English will become available.

    From the translation before me, I am thinking that the post is perhaps posing the well-known problem of expressing subscripts and superscripts in plain text.

    That problem could be solved by encoding into Unicode the arrow parentheses that Bernard Miller suggested back in 2002 in his Bytext report. Arrow parentheses would also allow the lower and upper limits of mathematical integrals to be expressed in plain text as well.

    William Overington