Re: Kaida font (work in progress)

From: Mark Rosa (ll077003@mail.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2011 - 21:29:34 CST

    Rick, thanks for the encouragement!

    I had been hoping for more comments from established contributors on what to do, but even without them I've already started on the proposal and should have it done perhaps by early next week. I downloaded one of the forms from unicode.org and began filling it in, with a long section afterwards with pictures of actual kaida writing and explanations of the characters used in them.

    The font is very much a work in progress -- I installed it on a Windows computer just to test it, and while it works fine, I noticed that I hadn't even given the font a name! (It's "Untitled", in case you install it and can't find it.)

    I still need to add several characters, and will probably add the "sūchūma" quantity shapes also; they're not much of a burden to put in.

    As for the name list, I'll change "UNIT" to "SYMBOL", and remove "YAEYAMA" from the names. I had included it since similar characters use place names (Aegean, etc.) and the word "kaida" isn't English; it certainly won't be familiar to anyone seeing these characters for the first time, whereas the Yaeyama islands are well-known. But I can go with just "KAIDA" if that fits the naming rules better.

    How are long vowels handled in character names? We can't have accented characters, right? I used the "word processor romaji" kludge for long Japanese vowels and wrote "gō" as GOU; "shō" as SHOU, etc. for now.

    Item 3 in section B of the proposal form is difficult to answer. Here are the choices:

    3. Proposed category (select one from below - see section 2.2 of P&P document):
    A-Contemporary
    B.1-Specialized (small collection) here?
    B.2-Specialized (large collection)
    C-Major extinct
    D-Attested extinct here?
    E-Minor extinct
    F-Archaic Hieroglyphic or Ideographic here?
    G-Obscure or questionable usage symbols

    The script is small (under 160 characters). It's not quite extinct yet; teetering on the edge, and not used for daily purposes anymore, but there are a few people who remember its heyday who are very much alive. How old is "archaic"? If that has a technical meaning and refers to anything not in daily use today, OK, but I can't see something that was still used in the 1920s being called "archaic"! The ideographic part of course fits perfectly.

    In any case I'll save a preliminary proposal-in-progress and post a link here so that people can see it.

    Mark Rosa
    <ll077003@mail.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>