Re: Facepalm gesture/emoticon proposal

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2011 - 10:39:33 CST

    On 3/1/2011 7:37 AM, Doug Ewell wrote:
    > lohmatii netizen<lohmatii at gmail dot com> wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to expand gesture symbols area and include facepalm
    >> (U+1F650 for example)& double facepalm (U+1F651)?
    > It used to be that characterizing a non-legacy-encoded symbol as a
    > "popular meme" would be a compelling argument *not* to add it to
    > Unicode. "Novel" and "short-lived" symbols were supposed to be
    > discouraged.

    In other words, it is possible, but only if the symbol meets a number of
    criteria. A useful set of criteria for encoding symbols is found in
    Annex H of this document:
    http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3002.pdf

    To show that any symbol meets these criteria requires detailed evidence
    of its use, function, and relation to related symbols, as well as
    information on how widespread the use of this symbol is and in which
    user community. Such information is must be provided as part of any
    formal character encoding proposal.

    The process of making a formal proposal is described here:
    http://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html

    > You might need better evidence for disunifying the two-handed version
    > than simply to say it "may be another gesture."

    That is correct - if the symbols might be just artistic variations of
    the same concept, they wouldn't normally get encoded separately. So any
    proposal would need to demonstrate that the number of hands indicates an
    actual difference in meaning or usage.

    The website wouldn't load for me, so I can't tell whether the "facepalm"
    symbol might have a chance of meeting the conditions for approval - even
    if, I doubt that the information from a single website would be
    sufficient for encoding.

    A./