Re: Facepalm gesture/emoticon proposal

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 03:57:26 CST

    On Wednesday 2 March 2011, Peter Edberg <pedberg@apple.com> wrote:

    > My understanding is that new emoji added for mobile phone use in Japan or elsewhere in East Asia will be supported as embedded graphics, rather than encoded as plain text by a mobile phone carrier. It was the plain text encoding of the legacy core emoji set, and their resulting widespread interchange as plain text, that was a driver for encoding them in Unicode. There is no such driver for arbitrary graphic images that may be interchanged as such.

    Well, there could be.

    How about the following?

    U+E900 PIXEL BLACK
    U+E901 PIXEL BROWN
    U+E902 PIXEL RED
    U+E903 PIXEL ORANGE
    U+E904 PIXEL YELLOW
    U+E905 PIXEL GREEN
    U+E906 PIXEL BLUE
    U+E907 PIXEL MAGENTA
    U+E908 PIXEL GREY
    U+E909 PIXEL WHITE
    U+E90A PIXEL CYAN
    U+E90B PIXEL PINK
    U+E90C PIXEL DARK GREY
    U+E90D PIXEL LIGHT GREY

    U+E9EF PIXEL TRANSPARENT

    U+E9F0 PIXEL LAYOUT START

    U+E9F8 PIXEL LAYOUT NEXT ROW

    U+E9FF PIXEL LAYOUT FINISH

    In use, if a character in the range U+E800 .. U+E8FF is received then it is displayed using the image in the cache for that code point.

    If a character in the range U+E800 .. U+E8FF is followed by a U+E9F0 character, then the sequence up until a U+E9FF character is received is used to produce the display and the image is stored in the cache for that character for future use.

    William Overington