Re: Assigning a plane for mapping digits for many different bases

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Tue Mar 08 2011 - 17:04:36 CST

    On 03/08/2011 02:32 PM, Ken Whistler wrote:
    > On 3/7/2011 9:28 PM, Tiago Estill de Noronha wrote:
    >>
    >> How about assigning a whole plane (one of the currently unassigned
    >> ones) for digit characters, starting from the digit for zero at the
    >> beggining and going up in sequence; without defining the actual
    >> appearance of the digits (different fonts would draw them their own
    >> way). This wouldn't deal with ambiguity between different bases, but
    >> would allow standardsation of digits for writing numbers in lots of
    >> bases, all the way up to somewhere around base 65535
    >>
    > Not gonna happen.

    Another solution in search of a problem. Ken answers pretty
    definitively; I just add a note that if you *do* have some
    special-purpose application which would find it extra-useful to have a
    plane full of digits (experience has not yet provided any general
    applications which seem to need this), I direct your attention to planes
    15 and 16, which are waiting to be stuffed as full of digits as you
    could want.

    ~mark