Re: Which hyphen for ZIP+4 codes?

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2011 - 03:37:07 CST

    On Tuesday 8 March 2011, Doug Ewell <doug@ewellic.org> wrote:

    > Which of the many hyphen and dash characters is preferred for separating the parts of a U.S. ZIP+4 code (such as 20500-0004)?

    I found the following web page, from the United States Postal Service, that finds a ZIP code if the user enters an address.

    http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp

    Searching by address, using in the required fields the partial address given as an example on the web page, namely as follows,

    Main Street
    Fairfax
    VA

    gives a set of results, for various addresses, the first of which is 22031-4032.

    Copying onto the clipboard from the web page and pasting into SC UniPad and then highlighting the text in SC UniPad and then using

    Edit
    Convert
    A \u...
    All characters

    and checking using the

    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0000.pdf

    code chart shows that the character used for - on the web page is a U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS.

    Using http://maps.google.com/ and Google's Street View facility provides a display of the street view at the address.

    http://maps.google.com/streetview

    It was Doug who first told me about the SC UniPad program in this mailing list some years ago. I have used it on many occasions and it is a very useful program. Some readers might like the following link.

    http://www.unipad.org

    William Overington