Re: Encoding of invented items (from RE: Assigning a plane for mapping digits for many different bases)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2011 - 13:22:23 CST

    On 10 Mar 2011, at 16:41, Peter Constable wrote:

    >> Consider, for example, my idea of localizable sentences.
    >
    > Which, you have been told many times, is a bad idea.

    Come on, Peter. You really need a curmudgeon's hat. Since you haven't got one, I'll put it on.

    William.

    Look.

    You obviously don't get it. What you propose is IMPOSSIBLE.

    Now, since you don't believe me, please go and buy Arika Okrent's book http://www.amazon.com/Land-Invented-Languages-Esperanto-Dreamers/dp/0385527888/evertype-20 The Land of Invented Languages and read the chapter "John Wilkins and the Language of Truth". What you propose is just exactly what Wilkins proposed, and he could not succeed because it is IMPOSSIBLE.

    So give over, already.