Re: Case mappings

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2011 - 08:01:03 CST

    Asmus Freytag <asmusf at ix dot netcom dot com> wrote:

    > Ordinary text (a random paragraph) is not usually case transformed
    > at all. There's little payoff for anyone to mark up text with this
    > information, then.

    Plain text is one of the most versatile data formats around. It can be
    very hard to predict, for a given sample of "ordinary" text, whether
    somebody will come along and want to collate it, spell-check it, convert
    it to upper or lower or title case, or turn it into purple-and-pink
    WordArt® with drop shadows and daisies surrounding it.

    QSJN 4 UKR's original use case (see
    http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2011-m02/0067.html) seemed
    to apply to any arbitrary text passage, not just headers and such.
    Maybe I didn't understand what he was getting at.

    Markup that can seldom be counted on to be available is not much
    different from no markup at all. It would be similar to the way Mark
    Davis has described Google's use of meta-charset attributes in content
    found on the Web: ignore the attribute because it can't be trusted, and
    apply heuristics instead.

    --
    Doug Ewell | Thornton, Colorado, USA | http://www.ewellic.org
    RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14 | ietf-languages @ is dot gd slash 2kf0s ­