Re: L2/11-094 Proposal to add heraldic hatching characters (WG2 N4011)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Apr 01 2011 - 16:07:37 CST

    On 1 Apr 2011, at 22:50, Peter Constable wrote:

    > I’m not quite sure I get the expected usage. The document doesn’t show any indication of heraldic hatchings used as characters in text.

    How are any of the Geometric symbols used?

    A plain fill ⮳ indicates argent or white; a horizontal fill ⮴ indicates azure or blue; a vertical fill ⮵ indicates gules or red; an orthogonal crosshatch fill ⮶ indicates sable or black; a left to right diagonal fill ⮷ indicates vert or green; a right to left diagonal fill ⮸ indicates purpure or purple.

    Or you could lay the characters out in a table, as in the Wikipedia images.

    ⮳ argent or white
    ⮴ azure or blue
    ⮵ gules or red
    ⮶ sable or black
    ⮷ vert or green
    ⮸ purpure or purple.

    Either way, I can use these geometric filled symbols in text to describe the usage of the hatching systems.