Re: n4013 Proposal to encode additional Runic characters in the UCS [was: Three modest proposals]

From: Andrew West (andrewcwest@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2011 - 17:36:43 CDT

    2011/4/3 Andrew West <andrewcwest@gmail.com>:

    > The proposal is not intended to be a comprehensive study of Tolkien's
    > English Runic usage, and omits to mention other interesting but
    > irrelevant features of Tolkien's orthography such as the Z-shaped
    > Runic letter Eoh (U+16C7) that is used for "eo" in "George Allen and
    > Unwin" on the original dust jacket of The Hobbit (which Tolkien no
    > doubt based on the similarly shaped runeform used in the Anglo-Saxon
    > rune poem).

    Another feature of Tolkien's usage that we did not feel necessary to
    discuss in the proposal is his use of three-dot and six-dot
    punctuation marks (as discussed by Lindberg
    <http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/runes-eng.pdf> page 6). I would
    represent his 3-dot mark with U+16EC RUNIC MULTIPLE PUNCTUATION and
    his six-dot mark as two consecutive U+16EC characters (others might
    use U+205D TRICOLON instead of U+16EC).

    Andrew