Re: Three modest proposals

From: John W Kennedy (jwkenne@attglobal.net)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2011 - 21:13:40 CDT

    On Apr 3, 2011, at 9:44 PM, Mark Davis ☕ wrote:
    > This was much better as an April Fool's prank.
    >
    > There was a good reason for a couple of cards (jokers): compatibility with widespread usage in existing standards (the Japanese emoji). It should have gone no further.
    >
    > It was bad enough to for certain ISO NBs to push in the superfluous 52 cards (http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/Unicode-6.0/U60-1F0A0.pdf) [Unicode members didn't want them].
    >
    > But then that mistake is taken now as a precedent to add tarot cards.

    But there already /are/ Tarot cards; the proposal is to complete the set. I suspect that, in the long run, the man-hours lost to adding them will be more than made up for by the man-hours saved of repeatedly searching throughout Unicode looking for the obviously missing ones that “surely must be there /somewhere/”.

    A caveat: the existing A, 2-10, J, Kn, Q, K cards name the modern suits. Adding the Tarot suits as alternate names would be judicious. (The equivalents: spades=swords, hearts=cups, diamonds=coins or pentacles, clubs=staves are well established, but are not universally known.)

    --
    John W Kennedy
    "The grand art mastered the thudding hammer of Thor