RE: Risk countries (Re: Three modest proposals)

From: Shawn Steele (Shawn.Steele@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Apr 04 2011 - 19:38:31 CDT

    If one is serious about characters for games, I wonder about a range of characters who's assignment would be game-dependent? So when you built the instructions for a game you'd need a font and to know what game you were talking about. Of course, you'd need a font anyway. And that starts sounding a lot like the PUA.

    However, I suppose you could have a more formalized range, but then you'd still have to declare the game of interest, and it seems like there could (eventually) be thousands of games, so even identifying the variations would be challenging. (Does a kid's go-fish get a different code points because the cards have fish instead of suits?) You could state that that's just a mapping, and ignore it, but what about Uno or other specialized card games? Especially ones that mostly use a normal deck with a few special cards? And are they even encodable since those games have copyrights and the like?

    Specifically for risk, I doubt the regions map to real regions very well, particularly once you start considering the variants, some of which aren't even "on the planet". Beside the rule book, is there any need to discuss a risk game in text? It's not quite like chess where a strategy book or record of games/moves seems reasonable.

    -Shawn