Re: Proprietary Card Decks

From: Julian Bradfield (jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 03:12:36 CDT

    On 2011-04-12, Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    > (Mathematics has agreed upon semantics for black letter forms, that are
    > independent of an actual font choice, hence the decision to encode these
    > as symbols).

    I disagree (speaking as a mathematician in a field prone to extensive
    use of semantically distinct letterforms). There is no agreed
    semantics for black letter forms, though there are a number of fields
    and subfields where general conventions have been established, and
    there's a kind of general woolly feeling that if you need a type style
    for something big and complicated (relative to your setting), then
    black letter is appropriate.
    Nobody would bat an eyelid if someone chose to use both a simple German
    fraktur typeface, and also (for something even more complicated)
    a fancy traditional "Old English" black letter. Maybe I'll do it in my
    next paper!

    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.