Re: Proprietary Card Decks

From: Hans Aberg (haberg-1@telia.com)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 11:11:51 CDT

    -42DF-9B36-9699ABA5BA3F@telia.com> <19877.50926.461416.891480@krk.inf.ed.ac.uk>
    To: Julian Bradfield <jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk>

    On 13 Apr 2011, at 17:53, Julian Bradfield wrote:

    >> On 13 Apr 2011, at 16:42, Julian Bradfield wrote:
    >> So do you want to add every math style used now and in the future, in
    >> effect, every font ever used, as a new semantic style in Unicode?
    >
    > Certainly not. The maths alphabets should never have been added in the
    > first place.

    So then there is nothing to complain about: just don't use them. Otherwise, nothing is ever removed from Unicode, nor is anything added changed; legacy.

    > And since they don't make the distinctions that
    > mathematicians do, they're not even useful for their intended purpose.
    > (If you do a little Googling, you'll see that people are already
    > complaining about Unicode's failure to distinguish \mathcal from \mathscr,
    > for the purpose of using "plain text" in translating MathML. If the
    > maths alphabets hadn't been added, they wouldn't be trying to do such
    > a daft thing in the first place.)

    Those who decided to not Calligraphic as separate semantic style, I figure, were aware that.

    People who want it might add it in the public use area.

    Hans